Research activities in the area of (waste)plastics and microplastics
Our activities cover the treatment of waste plastics (including mixed plastics) present in the terrestrial and the marine environment. Our work covers monitoring, fragmentation, biodegradation and pre-treatment for recycling of waste plastics.
Micro- and Nano-Plastics in AGRIcultural Soils
MINAGRIS aims to assess the impact of plastic debris in agricultural soils on biodiversity, plant productivity and ecosystem services and their transport and degradation in the environment. MINAGRIS will also provide tools and recommendations for sustainable use of plastic in agriculture at the farm and the field.
CHQ Technologies PC is a partner of MINAGRIS and responsible for the Case Study Site in Southwestern Crete.
Research activities in the area of phytoremediation
Our activities focus on exploiting plant and their associated bacteria (rhizosphere and endophytic ones) for organics and heavy metal removal from different matrices (soil, water, WWTP)
- Using helophytes in constructed wetlands for emerging contaminants (e. antibiotics), metals and antibiotic resistant bacteria removal
- Increasing the efficiency of the plant through bioaugmentation (i.e. inoculation of most promising rhizospheric and/or endophytic bacteria)
- Remediating/Phytomining heavy metal polluted soil in arid aeras using halophytes
Research activities in the area of hydrocarbons bioremediation:
Our activities focus on bioremediation technologies for the restoration of hydrocarbon contaminated sites; protection and restoration of the marine environment from oil spills (surface and deeps sea) – with the use of biological means biostimulation and or bioaugmentation (nutrients, hydrocarbon degrading bacteria, biosurfactants)
- Hydrocarbon degrading consortia and isolates
- Biosurfactant producing isolates – biosurfactant production
- Bioremediation of hydrocarbon polluted soils
- Bioremediation of hydrocarbon releases in Deep Sea
- Bioremediation using bacterial biofilms for bioaugmentation
- Multifunctional bioremediation agents for sea surface oil spills
- Multifunctional bioremediation agents for deep sea oil releases
- Dispersant efficiency in deep sea applications
- Emulating deep sea conditions for bioremediation of hydrocarbons monitoring
- In Situ Oil Burning Impact on the Marine Shallow Waters
Who we are
CHQ Technologies P.C. is a start-up company of the Technical University of Crete (TU-Crete), established in December 2019. The key scientists and partners are Prof. Nicolas Kalogerakis, Dr. Evdokia Syranidou and Dr. Eleftheria Antoniou, all from the Biochemical Engineering and Environmental Biotechnology Laboratory of the School of Environmental Engineering at TU-Crete. The leading team has long research experience on all aspects of bioremediation and phytoremediation, wastewater treatment, combating pollution in the marine and terrestrial environment including agricultural soils. The focus is on biotechnological means to mitigate environmental pollution and to develop processes that address user’s needs following the guidelines for a circular economy.
The work team is comprised of the above three scientists and partners of CHQ that have complementary expertise and young scientists that work for a specific project. There is a large pool of finishing graduate students at TU-Crete which makes hiring of additional members for the work team very easy.